The Correlation between Social Media Usage and Reading Ability of English Department Students at University

Mesa Salsabila Sadha(1*), Novitri Novitri(2), M. Syarfi(3)
(1) Faculty of Teachers Training and Education, University of Riau
(2) Faculty of Teachers Training and Education, University of Riau
(3) Faculty of Teachers Training and Education, University of Riau
(*) Corresponding Author
DOI : 10.24256/ideas.v10i2.3228

Abstract

This research aims to find out the correlation between social media usage and reading ability of the English department students at University of Riau. The research design was descriptive correlational that focused on the quantitative approach. The population of the research is the third year students of English department with 73 students involved as the research samples. To collect the data, the researcher used two research instruments; a questionnaire and a test. The questionnaire is to gain the data of the students’ social media usage while the test is for the data of the students’ reading ability. The analysis of the data was carried out using IBM SPSS Statistics. The findings revealed that the mean score of the students’ social media usage is 53.29, interpreted as ‘average’, whereas the mean score of the students’ reading ability is 66.75, interpreted as ‘good’. Then this research discovered the correlation coefficient between the two variables is 0.622, and following the classification of correlation by Sugiyono (2014), this number denotes a ‘high’ and ‘positive’ correlation. Also, the determinant coefficient is 0.387, indicating that the students’ social media usage has 38.7% influence on their reading ability, leaving the other 61.3% to other factors, such as the complexity of the text, the environmental conditions, the anxiety during reading comprehension, interest and motivation, etc. Having found these findings, it can be confirmed that social media usage can influence students’ English reading ability very well if they start using it wisely.

Keywords


correlation; reading ability; social media usage

References


References

Al Mukhallafi, T. R. (2020). The influence of social media on developing English reading skills of Saudi Universities Students. Bioscience Biotechnology Research Communication, 13(4), 2008–2014.

Azwar, S. (2012). Metode Penelitian. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.

Dennis, D. V. (2008). Are assessment data really driving middle school reading instruction? What we can learn from one’s student’s experience. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 51, 578–587.

Gay, L. R. (1987). Educational research competencies for analysis and application (3rd ed.). London: Merrill Publishing Company.

Huang, Q. 2004. Reading outside the library: How the internet has affected reading in China. Sage Publication 20(3): 182-188.

Hollowell, K, (2013). Factors Affecting Poor Reading Comprehension Skills. e-How Contributor. Online magazine. Retrieved from http://www.ehow.com/info_8423949_factors-poor-reading-comprehension-skills.html

Iftanti, E. (2012). Factors Contributing to the Development of the EFL Students' Good English Reading Habits. Dissertations, English Language Education, Graduate Program.

Kojo, D. B., Agyekum, B. O., & Arthur, B. (2018). Exploring the effects of social media on the reading culture of students in Tamale Technical University. Journal of Education and Practice, 9(7), 47–56.

Obaidullah, M. A. (2018). The Impact of Internet and Social Media on the Habit of Reading Books: A Case Study in the Southern Region of Bangladesh. Studies in English Language and Education, 5(1), 25-39.

Ogeyik, M. C., & Akyay, E. (2009). Investigating reading habits and preferences of student teachers at foreign language departments. The International Journal of Language Society and Culture, 28.

Rahmawati, D. R., Sukarni, S., & Widodo, S. (2020). The influence of social media on students’ reading ability. English Department Journal, 7(1), 13–24. https://doi.org/10.37729/scripta.v7i1.634

Rafiq, M., Arif, M., & Khan, M. T. (2020). The effects of social media on reading habits. Pakistan Journal of Information Management & Libraries, 21, 46–65.

Riduwan. (2011). Skala Perhitungan Variabel-Variabel Penelitian. Bandung: Alfabeta.

Sugiyono. (2008). Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif/Kualitatif dan R&D. Bandung: Alfabeta.

Wong, K. W. (2015). Investigating acceptance towards mobile learning in higher education students. Transforming Educational Practices with Technology, 9-19.


Article Statistic

Abstract view : 18 times
PDF views : 19 times

How To Cite This :

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2023 Mesa Salsabila Sadha

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.